Wednesday, February 03, 2010

Cross-stitch Endeavors

One of my co-workers from the public library recently gave me a cross-stitch kit. It's for a bookmark, based on a quilt pattern. It's very pretty, and slightly intimidating.

Why is a simple cross-stitch kit intimidating, you ask? Haven't you taught cross-stitch at historical day camp?

Well... I taught embroidery. I would sketch an outline on the fabric, follow the lines with my needle and thread, and mostly hoped for the best. This does not involve any lines on the fabric. This involves counting. Plus, there are holes in the fabric (it's an even-weave fabric. It's supposed to look like this).

Since I'm guilty of overthinking simple things ... the even-weave fabric threw me off. Where am I supposed to put the needle? Through the hole? Through the spot of fabric present? Thanks to a Google Image Search (query: "how to cross stitch") and the nice people at Needlework Tips & Techniques, I now know that I'm supposed to insert the needle in the space between the fabric.

Now I just need to conquer the counting stitches bit.

I'm excited for the project (plus, bookmark, yay), and I'm already trying to figure out Good Times To Cross Stitch. These times do not include subway rides or watching the X-Files (subways are for sock knitting and reading, TV time is for knitting the never ending afghan. I also need to figure out a time to work on Teddy's first toupee and baby biker sweater). I have some ideas on Good Cross-Stitch Times. These times include my lunch hour (small, portable), listening to NPR, and socializing with friends (yes, I am THAT girl).

No comments: